Gamepro Presents The Playstation 2 & Playstation Encyclopedia



As you can see by the condition of my personal copy as pictured above, this is one of my most read sources for PS1 games. This Encyclopedia was released around the launch of the PS2, and not only has reviews for all the PS2 launch games, but has nearly the entire collection of GP's reviews for their PS1 games. I say nearly, because they had apparently released something similar previously, so all the PS1 games they covered in the first one weren't put into this one. Over they years, this has been a great source for me when working on my PS1 collection. I don't agree with all the reviews GP ever had for PS1 games (2.5 Fun Factor for Xenogears, Tales of Destiny, Lunar, and Suikoden 2 were bad reviews IMO), but this is a very good list of them up till around the launch of the PS2, and has helped me remember and then add a number of PS1 games to my collection.

If you were to open my personal copy, you would find various markings on the reviews representing games I want, games I own, and games I have bought since I marked them as a want. Normally, I wouldn't mark up my mags, but this is a special exception.

This is a great read for PS1 fans, and a great source for those wishing to build up their own collections of PS1 games, and I wholeheartedly recommend this as great reading material.

It is, no doubt, hard to find but I have seen it here and there on Ebay and Amazon. Check it out if you have an interest in PS1 collecting. It's a great source for those starting out, and those who are still actively collecting PS1 games.

Comments

  1. This sounds like it could be useful. I personnaly like using gamespot.com to find new games. Not for their own reviews, but I like to see the user reviews. Also, when you are on a game page there it suggest similar titles to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gamespot and Gamefaqs are good sources too. I prefer Gamefaqs user reviews more. I can't stand Gamespot's official reviews though. They don't like games to begin with it seems.

    This is just my most read source, because it's easier to read for me. I don't have to be at my PC desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to remember the name of this for ages. I used to have this before I lost it through a natural disaster. I've been looking for another copy for years now :\

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment