Daily Station Gaming Log #4

As you'll notice in these logs is that I tend to jump around a lot in what I'm playing form day to day. Unless once certain game can suck me in, I'll play at random most of the time. Granted, expect these posts to get boring when I actually get involved in a game for a few days.

Also, I've been on mainly a PS1 gaming binge this whole week. I shift focus all the time on which system I play. Sometimes I don't even play any PS1, PS2 or PS3 games. Shocking I know.

Here are the games I played today (08-12-10):



Street Skater (PS1)-



As I said in my recent pickups post, this game actually hit before Tony hawk, but was more in the style of other arcade skateboarding games where the purpose was to skate a downhill course busting tricks. This game is pretty tough to get the hang of, and I keep trying and failing to beat the first level in the Street Tour mode. The Goal is 13,000 points, and I've gotten over 12,800 a few times. It can be frustrating, but it's doable. You practically have to put in a perfect run in the level which is tough. So far I like it, and it only cost me 99 cents to buy. It obviously won't take the place of Mirra as my favorite Extreme sports title, but because it's doing something different, it's worth a cheap look.

Another forgotten fact is it's sequel Street Sk8ter 2 was the first to add a part editor feature, and not THPS2. Granted, Street Sk8ter 2 went for the THPS style over the gameplay of the original. I'll probably pick up the sequel one of these days too. I'm also considering picking up Grind Session which was another decent THPS clone.


Ape Escape (PS1)-



This game is just pure fun, and this is coming from a guy who wasn't into the whole Platformer genre during the PS1 days. I actually had this for a while before I could play it on account of the fact that it requires a Dual Shock for play. I used to go to Walmart, and look a a generic Dual Shock that cost $20, but then I'd always have to make a decision, a $20 controller, or a $20 Greatest Hit Game. The Game always won.

I later acquired a Dual Shock, and finally played this fun, and inventive game. This is one of the best platformers on the PS1. Heck, I'd say it's one of the best platformers of it's generation. It used the Dual shock controller in very inventive ways, and beyond that was a well designed, and well made platformer as well. Crash and Spyro may be the better remembered PS1 platformers, but Ape Escape is just as worthy of any platformer fan's time.

I remember that the guys at PSM (what Playstation the Official mag used to be before it became official, and sucky) loved Ape Escape, and put it as one of their favorite PS1 games of all time. I'm not sure I'd rank it as high as they did, but it's definitely a quality game.

I've just played the first few levels so far. I forgot where I was in my old save, so i decided to start all over again. So far I'm only 8.3% into the game, but I stopped playing to post this here log.



Here's a vid I uploaded today of Street Sk8ter in action:



Comments